Foreign Judgments

Learn More


Asset Searches

Learn More


Proceedings Supplementary

Learn More


Writs of Garnishment

Learn More



Learn More


Charging Orders

Learn More

domesticate judgment in Coral Gables

What is the Domestication of Judgment?

Domestication of foreign judgment concerns enforcing a judgment in another jurisdiction separate from its origination. In this situation, a creditor can relocate a judgment ruled on in another state to the jurisdiction of their choice.

When you battle in court attempting to reclaim funding that is rightfully yours, this may feel like a great victory. Unfortunately, this outcome is often not the end of your troubles. Although receiving a favorable decision in court is an excellent first step to obtain compensation and resolve an unsatisfied debt, there is no guarantee that the debtor will meet their obligations.

Many debtors want to resolve their debt issues with a creditor. However, unforeseen circumstances happen to us throughout our lives, and they may not possess the ability to pay. When a debtor wants to work with you, the process of obtaining your debt is an easy process. Nevertheless, sometimes an amicable resolution is not possible, and the creditor must utilize additional legal channels to reclaim a debt.

If a debtor moves into another jurisdiction, this may prove a complicated and time-consuming ordeal. To avoid unwanted complications, issues, and roadblocks that this may cause, the legal system has provided a comprehensive solution.

Most jurisdictions adopted some form of the Uniform Enforcement of Foreign Judgments Act. To domesticate the judgment in Coral Gables, this would fall under the Florida Enforcement of Foreign Judgments Act, or FEFJA.

The FEFJA offers creditors an olive branch that can help them defend against relocated debtors, as well as individuals attempting to “skip-out” on their obligations. This act streamlines the necessary procedures, laws, and regulations concerning attempts to domesticate judgment in Coral Gables.

How to Domesticate Foreign Judgment in Coral Gables

A legal team’s first step to domesticate the judgment in Coral Gables is obtaining an exemplified record for the Clerk of Court in a jurisdiction that issued rules over the judgment. This is an official record that contains the identification and contact information for both the creditor and debtor, in addition to the total amount that the debtor owes.

Once you obtain this record, you should contact the clerk in the jurisdiction where you need to domesticate the judgment. This jurisdiction is usually the area where the debtor currently lives or claims property ownership.

Contacting the court in these cases helps you get organized, ensuring that you properly prepare your case. They can inform you on all the legal documentation you need, and register your case to domesticate the foreign judgment in Coral Gables.

While you register this new case, ensure you list the debtor’s last known address, and the address of the lending institution. The clerk will enter this information, the total debt owed by the debtor, the judgment date, and whether or not the judgment is a default judgment.

A default judgment is a binding ruling in favor of one party due to a failure to respond by the other party. This often occurs when a defendant is unresponsive to a court-mandated summons.

30 Day Right to Response

During the final steps of the filing process to domesticate the judgment in Coral Gables, the clerk sends a notice to the debtor. The debtor wields a 30 day right to contest this legal action through appeal. However, the debtor cannot include any previously conclusive information contained in the original judgment.

Nonetheless, they can formulate a defense concerning a few specific facets of the original case. This includes the original court’s jurisdiction, or that the court did not correctly represent their best interests during the original case.

If the court does not receive a response within these 30 days, a creditor can now legally enforce the original judgment in the new jurisdiction. This judgment will additionally impart the same legal ramifications as if it occurred in the new jurisdiction initially.

For example, you loaned funds to the debtor in the State of California and want to domesticate the judgment in Coral Gables. You possess a judgment ruled in California, but the debtor has since moved to Florida. Once you domesticate judgment in Coral Gables, this judgment can now be enforced in your jurisdiction.

Domesticate Foreign Judgment in Coral Gables

Do you need a swift and efficient resolution to a foreign judgment issue? It is a prudent idea to enlist a legal professional. They can represent your best interests in court, or at the litigating table. A lawyer that is versed in judgment domestication can help you navigate the convoluted legal system. This individual represents a significant advantage in your corner as you seek a positive resolution.

The Law Offices of Paul A. Humbert, P.L. wields extensive experience in handling judgment domestication cases. We can assist you with your case while alleviating any potential pitfalls or roadblocks that you may experience.

Our firm regularly collects judgment for numerous clients of varying sizes and industries in the South Florida area. Additionally, if you bring us a domestication issue from outside the state of Florida, we can still assist you and attain a positive resolution for your needs.

For more information on how to domesticate a judgment in Coral Gables, contact our professional legal team today. We possess the education, experience, and litigating skill to obtain a victory in court. Our team can help you gain what is rightfully yours. There is no reason to endure a domestication case on your own. Hire our firm and learn what it is like to wield a qualified attorney in your corner.

We are here to help YOU with any business litigation matter you may have!