Foreign Judgments

Learn More


Asset Searches

Learn More


Writs of Garnishment

Learn More



Learn More


Charging Orders

Learn More


Paul A Humbert Law


Phone : 1 (800) 844-8043

Email :

Enforcement of Judgments With Debt Collection

Domesticate Judgment in Florida

When involved in a legal action or proceeding, the decision the court reaches on the matter is known as a judgment. This covers the rights and liabilities of the parties involved in the case. Accompanying the judgment is typically an explanation provided by the court that outlines the reasoning behind why they ruled in the way that they did, oftentimes referred to as “reasons for judgment”.

Domesticated judgments occur when a decision is reached in a court from another state or country and transferred somewhere else. As you may know, each country, and even states within a country, have varying rules and laws they follow. For example, in the United States, certain substances and actions are legal in some states and illegal in others.

“How do those rules and regulations translate when a judgment is transferred somewhere else?”

This leaves the question: how do those rules and regulations translate when a judgment is transferred somewhere else? In our state, this area of law is known as Domesticate Judgement in Florida. The process can be complicated, so it is highly recommended that you find an attorney who is well versed in this practice area to oversee that your best interests are protected.

Backed By Years of Experience We’re Prepared to Handle Your Case! Call Us: (786) 373-3757

At the Law Offices of Paul A. Humbert, P.L., our team are more than prepared to properly handle your Domesticate Judgment in Florida. Backed by years of experience and knowledge in various areas, our law office can create a solid course of action in identifying the exact terms of your judgment and determine how transferring those judgments will affect both yourself and the opposing party. We will then carefully review your options together to decide what will work best for you.

In many cases, you may be a business or company owner who is looking to bring the judgment of a lawsuit to another state in which a supplier, customer, or partner is located. It is not uncommon for businesses and their relations to be spread across the United States, or even the world. The larger the scope and reach of your company, the more likely this situation may apply to you.

When looking into domesticating a judgment, lawyers follow the requirements outlined in the Florida Enforcement of Foreign Judgements Act, or FEFJA. While some may take the term “foreign” to mean out of the country, it is also utilized in this case to refer to judgments obtained from other states outside of your home state.

Domesticate Judgement In Florida In Simple Terms

In layman’s terms, to Domesticate Judgment in Florida is simply to bring a judgment from another state or country to your home state of Florida. The process typically begins by acquiring an official copy of the judgment from the court that originally ruled on the case. That judgment must then be recorded in the office of the clerk of the circuit court of the Florida county in which you will be seizing your assets. This step requires a fee by the clerk.

An affidavit must then be filed with the clerk stating the name, social security number, and last known address of both yourself and the judgment debtor. Once this process is complete and the debtor does not challenge the validity of the judgment within thirty days, the judgment will be implemented in the same manner as if it were originally filed in the state of Florida.

In Florida, judgments issued by the Florida courts become a lien against the judgment debtor’s real estate thirty days after it is filed. Once the Domesticate Judgment in Florida is complete, you may proceed with collection procedures. This may include levying or garnishing the judgment debtor’s assets located in Florida.

South Florida’s Go To Law Firm!

The Law Offices of Paul A. Humbert, P.L., who already have plenty of experience in effectively seeking collection from debtors, can make securing your Domesticate Judgment in Florida that much simpler. We are well versed on the Florida Enforcement of Foreign Judgments Act and always follow its requirements to secure smooth proceedings.

It is no surprise that the Law Offices of Paul A. Humbert, P.L. has become the go-to law firm for many individuals and entities residing in South Florida. It is difficult to find a group of professionals who will work as closely and provide as much one on one attention to your individual case as our firm. In addition to securing your Domesticate Judgment in Florida, the Law Offices of Paul A. Humbert, P.L. offer legal advice in the following areas:

  • Commercial Contract Disputes
  • Unpaid Invoices
  • Credit Damage Enforcement Claims
  • Commercial Fraud Claims
  • Real Estate Litigation
  • State and Federal Appeals

If you need legal assistance in Domesticate Judgment in Florida, we are happy to provide a free consultation and get started on your case immediately. Early consultation with a Florida debt collection attorney will ensure a much smoother process. You may contact us by calling (786) 373-3757 or you can click here to send us a message, now!

When. Results. Count.

We are here to help YOU with any business litigation matter you may have!