debt collection lawyer

A Writ of Replevin is a powerful legal tool that can be filed by a person who has been deprived of property. This article will explain what it is, who files it and how to do so, as well as the steps involved in filing and serving a replevin action.

What Is a Writ of Replevin?

It is a legal tool used to recover personal property. This tool requires the return of the property and damages for the loss of use. It is issued by a court, and if you have been wrongfully deprived of your property, it can be an extremely powerful tool in your arsenal.

You can use this tool if you are the rightful owner of a property and someone has taken it from you without your permission in Florida, or if your debtor has defaulted on a secured loan.

When. Results. Count.

At Law Offices of Paul A. Humbert, P.L., our singular focus is our clients.

Who Files a Writ of Replevin?

The party that has been wrongfully deprived of their physical property, or the lender whose debtor defaults on a secured loan, might file a Writ of Replevin. It can be filed by an individual or business, depending on the circumstances. It’s important to note that you cannot file this action if you simply have an interest in property; rather, it must be personal property with which you have a vested interest in its ownership and/or possession.

A Writ of Replevin is generally issued for the repossession of a physical item, such as specified collateral in a secured loan agreement. Replevin actions in Florida are used to get the help of a Sheriff in entering property and repossession. There are other ways of seizing wages or bank accounts, for example.

How to File a Writ of Replevin

If you are in need of retrieving something that was taken from you, it’s time to file a Writ of Replevin. This legal tool allows for the immediate retrieval of property and can be filed by anyone with standing over the item in question. The process involves filling out forms and gathering supporting documents.

Here is how to file a writ:

Step 1: Determine if you are eligible to file. This is a legal tool that can be used by anyone who has standing over the property in question (i.e., it belongs to you or a business you represent). Courts will require that you demonstrate this by providing documentation proving ownership. If you’re not sure, check with an attorney before proceeding further.

Step 2: Gather documentary evidence of the item’s exact location.

Step 3: Complete the required forms. Make sure to include all relevant information about the property in question, such as its description and location.

Step 4: File with the court clerk. You’ll likely need to pay a fee for this service, but it varies depending on where you live.

Step 5: Serve the writ. When you’ve filed your paperwork, a process server will deliver it to the person who took your property.

Step 6: Wait for a court date. Once the person who took your property has been served, they will have 20 days to respond. If they don’t, then the judge will issue an order to return it to you immediately—but this isn’t always possible depending on where they are or how quickly they respond.

Step 7: Collect on your judgment. If the person who took your property doesn’t return it within 20 days, then you can ask for a writ of replevin ad prosequendum and ad possession so that you can take immediate possession of what was taken from you.

Step 8: File an appeal if necessary. If you don’t get satisfaction from your first attempt at it, you can file an appeal in the court of appeals.

The process of filing a writ can take some time and effort, but it’s usually worth it to get your property back. If you’re ever in doubt about whether or not to file for replevin, talk with us here at Paul A. Humbert Law firm.

Preparing the Petition for a Writ

A petition is a written document that contains allegations, and it’s filed with the court to request an order or judgment. In this case, the petition seeks to have your property returned to you.

The parties in a replevin case are the plaintiff (the person bringing the lawsuit) and defendant (the person being sued). The parties are represented by lawyers who file documents on their behalf with the court clerk.


Preparing the Bond

A bond is a promissory note that guarantees the return of the property to its rightful owner if you don’t return it. It also ensures that you’ll pay any money damages awarded by the court if you fail to abide by the terms of your Writ.

The amount of bond depends on the value of each item in dispute, but typically ranges from $300 to $500 per item. You’ll need to sign this document with a surety company (a financial institution). If you fail to return any property under your writ or pay damages as required by law, then this surety company will be responsible for paying them instead.

Once all documents have been filled out and filed with the court, they must be served upon anyone who may have possession or control over items listed on your writ—usually people who work at stores where merchandise has been taken without payment first place–so make sure they know what’s happening!

Filing the Application with the Clerk of Courts

After drafting the application, you will need to file it with the clerk of courts within your jurisdiction. The clerk of courts is responsible for reviewing all filings and making sure that all pertinent information is included. In some jurisdictions, this can take up to two weeks or even more. It’s important to note that once your writ has been officially accepted by a court clerk and entered into their database, you will receive an official filing number from them. This number should be referenced throughout any further communications with them (or other governmental entities).

The next step in this process involves serving notice on both parties involved—the defendant(s) and plaintiff(s). This means notifying each party via certified mail that they have been named in a writ application filed by someone else; it also means notifying them of when they must appear before a judge at their respective hearing date(s).

The Clerk’s Office Reviews the Application

The clerk reviews the application to see if it is complete. If the plaintiff has not provided enough information to determine whether the complaint can be heard by a judge, or if there are too many errors in the application for him or her to understand what is being requested, he or she will notify both parties and schedule a hearing date.

The clerk also sends notice of any errors in court filings back to the plaintiff so that they may be corrected before his/her case goes forward.

By filing a writ, you have the ability to recover your property. When you file this document, the court will issue an order requiring them to surrender it back to you. You may be able to recover damages or other compensation for any losses suffered as a result of their wrongful possession. Paul A. Humbert has actively represented clients in some of their most complicated commercial foreclosure matters involving millions of dollars. His wide variety of litigation experience also extends to representation of fraud victims, credit damage litigants, and other aggrieved consumers and businesses alike.

We are here to help YOU with any business litigation matter you may have!

Creditor Rights Attorney | Debtor Bankruptcy Cases | Law Offices of Paul A. Humbert, P.L.

A debtor filing for bankruptcy and attempting to still reclaim some of, or an entire debt is no easy task. In these situations, creditors should, without question, seek creditor bankruptcy representation in Downtown Miami to guide them through such a tumultuous situation.

Our firm, the Law Offices of Paul A. Humbert, P.L. work to help defend creditor rights in bankruptcy situations. We represent a wide variety of clients, large and small. To learn more about what our attorneys can do for you, contact our firm today to schedule a consultation.

Contact Info

  9655 South Dixie HighwaySuite 119Miami, FL 33156

  (844) 448-6237 | (844) 4-HUMBERT

  1 (786) 373-3757

  1 (305) 513-5153




Get In Touch